Distance Learning – Additional Resources for Parents
Family Support Options
Babysitting, Nannies, and Child Care
- UrbanSitter (in-person & virtual babysitting): urbansitter.com
- *50% off implementation fee for Sequoia clients
- Bambino (in-person & virtual babysitting): https://www.bambinositters.com/
- Care@Work (family care solutions): https://www.care.com/careatwork
Virtual Tutoring for K-12
- Trilogy Mentors (virtual summer camps, education, tutoring): trilogymentors.com
- GetAnswersNow.com (clinicians for daily, personalized autism support)
- Wyzant (private 1 on 1 lessons with expert instructors of your choice)
- Public Libraries (check out your local library’s website as many offer or partner with third parties to offer free tutoring!)
- Outschool – live, small group classes. They have a corporate partnership model where you pre-load a wallet of funds and can designate a per employee amount to use.
- Education.com | Pre-K through 5 – With thousands of teacher-crafted learning activities that sync up with the school year (materials for online and offline learning and work).
- Phonics Hero
Virtual or At-Home Education and Learning Services
- abcmouse.com (early learning academy)
- EPIC (35,000+ online children’s books): getepic.com
- LittlePassports (project subscriptions delivered monthly): littlepassports.com
- KiwiCo (science and art projects, delivered): kiwico.com
- Vooks (animated children’s books): vooks.com
- Audible Stories for Kids: Instantly stream an incredible collection of stories, including titles across six different languages, that will help them continue dreaming, learning, and just being kids. All stories are free to stream on your desktop, laptop, phone or tablet https://stories.audible.com/discovery
- Tynker (coding for kids): tynker.com
- Education.com (thousands of teacher-crafted learning activities)
- Owl Crate (monthly book club subscription) : owlcrate.com
- Scholastic Learn at Home has daily projects to keep kids reading, thinking, and growing. Every day includes four separate learning experiences, each built around a story or video. Kids can do them on their own, with their families, or with their teachers. For kids from preschool through grade 9.
- NASA STEM Engagement (Students can build an edible spacecraft, train like an astronaut or build a rocket that can be launched from their own backyard.)
- For kids ages 13 and up, The New York Times is offering daily and weekly writing prompts based on different topics and types of media, including photos and illustrations. And you can access all New York Times content for free with a library card and PIN.
- ABCya! (Provides educational games and activities for school-aged children. The games on the website are organized into grade levels from pre-kindergarten to Sixth grade.)
- Storyline Online (streams videos featuring celebrated actors reading children’s books alongside creatively produced illustrations.)
Family Support (Food Delivery, Cleaning, Support)
- Instacart (grocery delivery): instacart.com
- Shipt (grocery & other delivery): shipt.com
- Handy (home cleaning): handy.com
- Little Spoon (organic baby food delivery): littlespoon.com
- Gravida (mentoring & support for pregnant mother’s): gravidamom.com
- Uber Eats (food delivery): ubereats.com
- Grubhub (food delivery): grubhub.com
Virtual Field Trips
Attractions and museums are closed for now, but you can visit many virtually.
Zoos + Aquariums
- andBeyond WILDchild (Bringing Arica home for your kids.)
- Brookfield Zoo brings the zoo to you every weekday for the next several weeks at 11 am CT. On Facebook Live (and YouTube), you can see featured animals as well as plenty of educational, informative insight from Animal Care Specialists.
- Home Safari from the Cincinnati Zoo, is held each weekday at 2 pm CT. They highlight one of their amazing animals and include an activity you can do from home. Don’t have access to social media? All videos will be posted to this webpage and to their YouTube channel shortly after the Facebook Live ends.
- San Diego Zoo has a website just for kids with videos, activities, and games. Plus live cams!
- Zoo Atlanta has a Panda Cam.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium has live cams highlighting penguins, sea otters, and sharks.
Museums + Culture
- The Art Institute of Chicago has a searchable online collection, with additional information for each artwork.
- The British Museum has an interactive timeline. Just pick a date and learn more about the thousands of artifacts that make up their collection.
- The Metropolitan Opera will live-stream an opera each evening at 6:30 pm CT.
- Yellowstone National Park has virtual tours of Mud Volcano, Mammoth Hot Springs, and more.
- The Louvre offers a virtual field trip.
- Smithsonian virtual field trips
- The Great Wall of China: See a virtual tour.